Most men, and even some women hear “the fab 5” and think of the 5 University of Michigan basketball players that went to the NCAA championship as freshman and sophomores (but never won). The team included future greats like Jalen Rose, Chris Webber and Juwan Howard. But my “fab 5” consist of 5 great foods that should be staples in your diet. They taste great; can be used in many different recipes; and of course are good for you.
- Spinach-This dark leafy green is great sautéed, in salads or in smoothies. Low cal (you can eat a lot) and loaded with lots of fiber and iron.
- Salmon– Omega 3’s and heart health are what you think of every time you eat a great piece of salmon (wild, of course).
- Sweet Potatoes– This veggie with lunch or dinner can curb your craving for sweets every time. It’s also full of fiber, anti-oxidants (anti-cancer), potassium and beta-carotene.
- Soybeans– One of the best sources of pure protein, low cal and a great meat substitute. Soybeans can be put in salads or as a side with fish or chicken.
- And last, but not least… Apples. We all know apples are a source of Vitamin C and fiber. The high fiber content can decrease cholesterol, and fill you up. So try a small apple BEFORE lunch or dinner. It will curb your appetite and aid digestion.
Five fabulous foods, easy and fun. !!
EAT WHAT YOU LOVE, LOVE WHAT YOU EAT!